I finished the draft of “Death on the Moon” last night.
It ended up being 7500 words. Just kept growing and growing from my initial estimate. I remind myself that as my first story written with hopes of publication, I had no idea how many words it would take for X number of characters and Y amount of plot developments. Maybe I’ll have a better idea next time.
Had a handful of beta-readers of the first 2500-4500 words who all pointed out some possible weak spots, but all seemed to be looking forward to the rest of the story.
Sent off copies to a couple people I went to high school with to see what they think before I go ahead and actually submit the story. (I’m going to submit it, but possibly they might find some typos or simple errors or something that can be fixed before the end of October.)